Weakley County Baptist Association
Wednesday, November 22, 2017
A Family of Churches

Dresden First Baptist Church

 

 

Dresden First Baptist Church
490 Morrow St
Dresden, TN  38225
(731) 364-2212
Website: http://www.dresdenfbc.org


Service Times
Sunday School         9:45 AM
Morning Worship   11:00 AM
Evening Worship     6:00 PM

Wednesday
AWANA                   6:00 PM
Bible Study              6:30 PM
Youth Studies          6:30 PM
College Studies      6:30 PM

Pastor: Dr. Don McCulley
226 Linden St
Dresden, TN  38225
 

On July 18, 1907, Bro. L. D. Summers, pastor at Greenfield, Tennessee held a revival in a small tent on the courtyard in Dresden with success.  At that time a Missionary Baptist Church was organized.  Several joined by baptism and letter.  Bro. Summers preached one Sunday per month for a period of time.  Services were held in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and other places until a little church building could be built.

            A lot was given for the church on Maple Street by Mr. Ben Irvine, grandfather of Mrs. Jimmy Hamlin, and deeded thus: “Given in order to promote the cause of religious worship and the interest of the First Missionary Baptist Church in Dresden, Tennessee.”  This lot was relinquished to Mr. W. B. Mayo, Mr. H. C. Golden, and Mr. W. O. Tuck for this purpose.  The church built on this lot was completed and clear of debt the first Sunday in July, 1910.

            Bro. T. N. Hale was called for a trial sermon and elected as pastor on December 22, 1919.  On March 13, 1927,  Rev. Hale preached the first sermon in the new church building which was erected on the corner of Locust and Church Streets.  Rev. Hale served the church as pastor for over 16 years.  From 1921-1937, the Home Mission Board was paying $600.00 per year of the pastor’s salary.

            The Church Annex was purchased in 1959.  In February 1965, a lot was purchased on which a new pastorium was built and dedicated in December of 1965.  On December 1, 1968 the note was burned and the church was declared debt free.

            On September 6, 1972 the church voted to purchase seven acres located on the Greenfield highway from Mrs. Elizabeth Darnell for the purpose of relocating the First Baptist Church.  On May 30, 1974 members cleared the ground.  The church broke ground for the new building on June 9, 1974 and one year later moved from the old building to the new facility.  Prayer service was conducted in the new fellowship hall on June 4, 1975 where they continued to meet until July 20, 1975 when the sanctuary was completed.  Dedication services for the new campus were held on August 24, 1975 with Dr. Fred Wood, former pastor from 1949-1952, preaching the dedication service.  Dr. Mike Davis was pastor at that time.

            On December 21, 1975, the cornerstone was laid. The church burned the note on their indebtedness on November 8, 1981  and the church was declared debt-free

 


View Larger Map