Weakley County Baptist Association
Sunday, April 14, 2024
A Family of Churches


Calvary Baptist Church
432 Old State Rt 118
Dresden, TN  38225
Pastor: Terry Richie
Sunday School           9:00 AM
Morning Worship     10:00 AM
Evening Worship       6:00 PM
Wednesday                7:00 PM 

In September, 1942 Rev. R. J. Cooper, County Missionary, came to Latham with his tent and set it up for a meeting with Rev. Lynn Claybrook doing the preaching and Rev. Cayce Pentecost leading the singing.  They held a ten-day meeting with many souls saved.  Out of this meeting grew the idea for a Baptist Church in Latham.  On October 4, 1942 in the home of  Mrs. Sam Lochridge, Calvary Baptist Church was organized with the following members.  Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Williams, Mrs. Lula Jones, Mrs. Verdie Rea, Huron Mosley,  Ann Lou Lochridge, Betty Sue Lochridge, Mrs. Verlie Lochridge, William Fuller, Ruby Fuller and Dorothy Yates.  After the reading of portions of  First Corinthians by Rev. Lynn Claybrook, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Dresden, and after prayer, those above mentioned names presented letters showing that they were in good  standing and full fellowship with their respective churches.  The New Hampshire Confession of Faith and the Baptist Church Covenant were read.  Then upon motion and second it was voted to enter into the organization of a church based on the Confession of Faith and Covenant as above read.

            Permission was given to use Bible Union School until a church building could be built.  Huron Mosley gave the land where the church now stands.  Some gave logs and different things toward the construction of the church building.  Other men and women donated labor.  Huron Mosley was our first Clerk and Treasurer.

            On August 29, 1943, though the church building wasn’t complete, in business meeting we voted to have services in the new building.  The windows were not installed yet nor was the building sealed.  Bro. R. J. Cooper preached the first sermon in the new church building.  His subject was “Life.”  Ten souls were added to the church that day.  That started the first revival where Bro. Cayce Pentecost preached for a week.  Thirty-eight souls were saved and some more came by letter.  The following Sunday September 3, 1943,  Bro. R. J. Cooper baptized 38 down the Obion river at the bridge.  Bro. Cooper was the first pastor of the church.

God has been good to Calvary Baptist Church to this present day and remains a light house in the Latham community.


View Larger Map